Y DANCE ACADEMY
excellence in dance education, accessible to all
The Summer Term has begun!
Find a list of current classes with specific Studio Assignments here while we wait for Studio D to be built.
Recently Cancelled or Combined Classes:
Tuesday, Tiny Feet I at 9:15am - combined with Tiny Feet II at 10:15am
Tuesday, Creative Movement I at 11:15am - combined with Creative Movement II at 1:45pm
Tuesday, Elementary Dance II at 5pm CANCELLED
Adult Hip Hop on Thursday nights CANCELLED
Adult Modern II/III on Thursday nights CANCELLED
Saturday, Creative Movement I at 9:45am - combined with Creative Movement II at 10:30am
Saturday, Elementary Dance II at 12:15pm - combined with Elementary Dance I at 11:15am
Jazz I/II on Saturdays CANCELLED
ABOUT THE Y DANCE ACADEMY
The Y Dance Academy (YDA) is dedicated to providing excellence in dance education, accessible to all.
Excellence in dance education:
The Y Dance Academy faculty holds extensive teaching, performing, and academic credentials. Free placement classes, regular progress reports, and individual faculty/student mentoring are all part of a Y Dance Academy education for children, teens, and adult dancers.
Accessible to all:
The Y Dance Academy is centrally located, culturally accessible, and charges tuition on a sliding scale according to need—because we believe that all children and adults should have the opportunity for a dance education.
YDA Program Highlights include:
- Early childhood classes beginning at 12 months of age for children with a caregiver. Our early childhood classes engage the imagination of young dancers, introduce group participation skills and explore the pleasure of movement to music.
- A rigorous, progressive pre-professional training program beginning at age 7 - 8 that forms the core curriculum of the program. By the time of graduation from the Y Dance Academy at age 18, students are dancing at a level that allows a smooth transition into professional conservatory training programs, university dance programs, and professional apprentice programs.
- An adult dance program that is unmatched in the quality, depth and variety of offerings and opportunities. Advanced dancers are able to continue their development as individual artists in our graduated classes that include ballet, jazz, and modern dance; those trying dance for the first time will find classes specifically designed to nurture their development.
- Recreational dance classes that invite students—including complete beginners to dance class—to explore introductory classes in ballet, jazz and modern dance as well as such ever-changing offerings as tap, hip hop, and dance composition.
- An annual student dance festival that teaches the art of performance: beginning with 8-10 weeks of rehearsals in addition to—rather than part of—dance classes so that students’ physical training is not interrupted; continuing through a full week of rehearsals in the theatre introducing students to performance elements such as staging, sound and lighting; and culminating in a professional production.
Y Dance Academy Performing Groups:
- YDA Teen Ensemble
- YDA Youth Ensemble
- YDA Ballet Repertory Company
- YDA Modern Lab Workshop
- YDA Adult Jazz Ensemble
- YDA Adult Ballet Ensemble
- YDA Tap Workshop
Office Hours This Week:
Monday: 12 - 5pm
Tuesday: 2 - 5pm
Thursday: 2 - 6pm
Friday: 11:30 - 1:30pm
*hours are subject to change, please contact the office for drop-ins
CHECK OUT THE FAMILY YMCA AT TARRYTOWN HOMEPAGE!
Arts Alive Project Grants are made possible with funds from the Decentralization Program (DEC), a regrant program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the NYS Legislature, and administered by ArtsWestchester.
Where you can take the next step in creating the life you want to live